I love a boot sale and would probably go to one every day if I could / had enough 20ps. You can find so many gems of all sorts - fruit & veg, plants, kids' toys, bacon butties... but obviously the reason for why I love them so much is for all the vintage treasures. Vintage prop/decor hunting is at its best at boot sales and I have found some of my favourite pieces at them.
Let me show you some of my pieces that I use in my wedding styling ...
My ten top tips for boot sales are:
- Take lots of cash including change, you don't want to miss out on your vintage treasure by not having any cash.
- Take some bags along, potentially some large sturdy ones if you're after breakables.
- Wear comfy shoes and take sun cream in the summer!
- Barter, especially if you're buying a few bits off of one person. Often they are dying to get rid of it and won't want to take it all back with them at the end of the day. Do this especially towards the end, as at the beginning of the day they may be holding off to see if someone else will buy it for their desired price.
- I don't like going first-thing, mainly because it's incredibly early! But also because things are more expensive, see point 4, and the stalls are still putting their stuff out and I hate to be THAT person that's "take 20p for this?".
- On that note, don't expect everything to be 20p anymore. You can and will get some real bargains, but not everything is dirt cheap. Have a think if you really want it and of its worth.
- Don't get into the major bargainers' mistake of buying everything just because it's cheap. Have a think of what you're looking for beforehand and use the golden rule 'only buy things that are are pretty or have a use' or something like that.
- Check breakables. People are often trying to sell chipped/damaged things just to get rid of them, so make sure you check them thoroughly.
- Don't expect a soya latte and a smoked salmon bagel. You'll be lucky with a white filter coffee and a bacon bap.
- Have fun. I love a boot sale (had you realised that!?) and like making it into a little trip, I take my time and wander around looking at all the gems.
I have also picked up some beautiful vintage treasure that I use round my home...
I would love to hear if you love boot sales as much as me? What's your best vintage find from one?
I often go vintage prop shopping for my brides & grooms to be at boot sales, and if you would like me to search for the perfect vintage props for your wedding or you fancy hiring my vintage treasure for your wedding or event, do drop me a line here.
Thanks so much for reading, VA x